Friday, March 6, 2009

Steward Of The Environment

Steward Of The Environment

After riding PWCs in the ocean for the last 13 years, I experienced yet another first this past Sunday. The group made a Long Beach to Catalina and back offshore training ride and we had about 10 Racers, including Shawn Alladio. I'll save you the detail, the long story short is that we had a great pace out, a great pace on the return leg from Avalon only for me to experience a mechanical about 14 miles from Long Beach. Shawn Alladio, the consumate professional who is always willing to assist, quickly jumped in and offered to give me a tow from her reliable Kawasaki 12F. I agreed, we linked up and away we went at the speed of 12 knots. We talked about various topics then at about ten minutes into the tow I noticed Shawn veering off course and found myself wondered what she was doing. She appeared focused, given that it was Shawn I didn't question and just let her do her thing. I must acknowledge that I wondered why she was going so far off course towing the thousand pound ULTRA250X craft, but she appeared to be determined and therefore I thought, so be it, let her do her thing. Off in the distance I saw some trash drifting in the ocean with Shawn clearly focused on getting it out of the water. "Is she going this far out of the way to pick up drifting trash" I thought. Sure enough, she went over, picked it out of the water and placed it safely in the tray. "I hate trash in the water' said Shawn. This process happened three more times during the long tow back. I must acknowledge that I always pick up anything I drop in the water, however I have never altered my course while I'm over 10 miles off shore to go pick up a piece of plastic. This was a first and resulted in a shift of my paradigm, one of many thigs Shawn Alladio does well. Shawn is the real deal, she gives a sh-- and her actions (her actions) demonstrate. Some people talk smack and then fail to execute, others lead by example and action. Shawn is one of these people.
For more information of offshore and endurance PWC / Jetski racing: www.pwcoffshore.com